Our residency program has a simple mission: Our goal is to educate and nurture outstanding resident physicians while providing the highest quality health care to our patients. We invite you to explore our program through the links listed on our website.
The multi-faceted academic program offered by the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology prepares medical students, residents and fellows to be outstanding clinicians and physician leaders. Our program promotes excellence at all levels of participation, including the classroom, ambulatory clinics, surgical centers, inpatient units and research laboratories. All learning opportunities are supervised by enthusiastic team members, including faculty physicians, researchers, educators and other health care providers. We have innovative programs which address the changing requirements of healthcare and the needs of our patients. Our residents are educated in the full range of obstetric and gynecologic practice from the basics of vaginal delivery to the elaborate robotic surgical procedures.
Highlights of our program include:
- Master clinicians practicing state of the art medicine
- A diverse group of residents and faculty who work together as a cohesive team to provide excellent patient care
- Promotion of quality healthcare for a culturally and socioeconomically diverse patient population
- Maternal Fetal Medicine Perinatal Center coordinating high risk obstetric care in our community and referral base
- Special programs that address the needs of the underserved, including the Urban Health Initiative
- Multidisciplinary center for pelvic health addressing the needs of individuals with pelvic floor dysfunction
- Advanced facilities for simulation, including resident teaching sessions and interdisciplinary exercises in vast subjects ranging from surgical techniques to obstetric emergency simulation drills
- Center for Interdisciplinary Inquiry and Innovation in Sexual and Reproductive Health addressing the needs of at risk Chicago area teens
- Full time faculty with research and clinical academic appointments in the Biological Sciences Division of the University
- The medical center offers a unique urban university based educational experience in a new surgical and inpatient complex, Center for Care and Discover
- Our medical center is centrally located on the University campus, fostering research collaboration in a richly intellectual environment
- Our academic partners at NorthShore University Healthsystem provide experience with a number of academic specialists and private practitioners
- The two campuses offer a complete and well-rounded educational experience in both urban university and community based settings.
- Fellowship opportunities are available in Family Planning, MFM, Female Pelvic and Reconstructive Surgery, and Gynecologic Oncology
- University of Chicago, Pritzker School of Medicine is the top ranked medical school in Illinois and is one of the highest ranked medical schools in the United States according to U.S. News and World Report
Our program recognizes and promotes diversity and individuality. Career planning is considered from the very start of residency to ensure that a pathway for success is achieved. About half of our graduates pursue academic careers through fellowship. Half of our graduates become leaders as generalists in communities throughout the country.
Academic excellence is the ultimate goal of our program. By the completion of residency, our housestaff have a solid foundation of knowledge and experience in all areas of obstetrics, gynecology and preventive primary health care. Competency in diagnostic, clinical and surgical training is achieved. Fundamentals of leadership, ethics, professionalism and patient compassion are promoted. The scholarly pursuit of knowledge through research, collaboration and evidence-based learning is nurtured in our program. Our graduates start on their paths to rewarding careers well prepared with tools for lifelong learning and achievements.